The Pearls of the DeMolay Emblem DeMolay was founded in 1919. The logo was designed with 10 pearls, each one to signify the first 9 founding members, and the original chapter Dad, Frank S. Land. In 1921 - only two years after the organization was founded - one of these first 9 members passed away tragically in an accident. His name was Ivan M. Bentley, and in his honor it was decided to memorialize this sad event by changing one of the pearls in the emblem to a ruby. This tradition continued as each member and the founding Chapter Dad passed away until, in 2002, all of the pearls had been changed to rubies, and the emblem was completed as see it today.